Slow Cooked Asian Beef Stew
This easy, aromatic Asian beef stew is the ultimate comfort food. Cook in the slow cooker until tender then serve over steamed rice and garnish with Thai basil leaves. It's sure to be a family favourite
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time6 hours
Nutrition per serving
- Energy742 Kcals
- Saturated Fat5.6g
- 800g beef braising steak, cubed
- 3 tbsp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer leaves removed, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 400g butternut squash, cubed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml beef stock
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp cornflour diluted in 1 tbsp cold water
- Thai basil leaves to garnish
- green and red chilli, sliced, to garnish
- steamed rice, to serve
Put the beef in a bowl and add the soy sauce, minced garlic, sugar, five spice powder, pepper, and lemongrass. Mix to combine, cover and leave to marinate for an hour.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown the beef, in batches, until nicely coloured. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Wipe the pan and heat the remaining oil. Fry the shallots for 5 minutes until softened.
Stir in the carrots, squash and chillies and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, star anise, cinnamon sticks and bring to a simmer.
Transfer to the slow cooker and stir in the cornflour.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise.
Garnish with chillies and Thai basil and serve over steamed rice.
Want to know how to cook rice perfectly? Check out our handy
guide on how
to cook rice
Do you like to use your slow cooker? Check out our top slow
cooker tips to help you get the best out of your slow cooker