Seaweed and Miso Glazed Pork Salad
This fresh and tasty Asian pork salad makes a healthy lunch. By food stylist @lolperry and photography by @ellisparrinder
- Preparation Time25 mins
- Cooking Time12 mins
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 x large free range pork chops
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dashi powder, optional (available from all Asian supermarkets)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ large cucumber, peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 100g daikon, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 150g baby spinach, washed
- 1 fresh corn cob, outer leaves removed, charred on an unoiled grill for 5-10 minutes and then kernels cut off
- 50 g dried wakame or other seaweed, reconstituted in warm water for 5-10 minutes
- 1 sheet toasted seaweed (nori), cut into 5mm shreds
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat and cook the pork for 3-4 minutes, turning every minute, until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
Combine the garlic with the miso paste and brush mixture evenly over the pork. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the pork, pressing in gently so they stick to the miso paste. Place onto a baking paper-lined baking tray. Roast the pork for about 8 minutes or until cooked through. Test by inserting a small knife in the chop and then placing it to your lip- it should feel fairly hot and not lukewarm to the touch. Remove to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
Combine dashi powder and 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve dashi. In a large bowl combine dashi mixture, mirin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger and sesame oil, then add cucumber, corn, wakame, spinach and daikon and toss to combine well.
To serve, twirl portions of the salad mixture onto serving plates and top with the pork, cut into thin slices. Sprinkle with the shredded nori and serve immediately.