One-pot Autumn Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Lucy Parissi's winning recipe of the Kikkoman Blogger Competition - One-pot chicken and mushroom casserole with rice. It is perfect for the colder months and so easy to make.
- Preparation Time5 mins
- Cooking Time1 hour 20 mins
- 4 chicken leg portions - preferably free-range
- 4 banana shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 400g | 14oz chestnut mushrooms, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 100g | 3.5oz wild mushrooms, roughly chopped or left whole (I used chanterelles)
- 230g | 8.1oz white & wild long grain rice mix
- 200g | 7oz cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 500ml | 2 cups hot chicken stock
- 6 tbsp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- a handful fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and prepare all your vegetables. Combine the soy sauce and honey.
Heat the casserole over high heat. Once it is hot, lower the temperature to medium and add the oil. Brown the chicken legs on all sides for a few minutes. Set aside.
Turn the heat to medium-low, add the butter to the casserole and scrape any browned bits of chicken from the bottom of the pot using a wooden spoon.
Toss in the shallots and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
Add the rice and stir to coat in the butter. Add the mushrooms and chestnuts and stir to combine.Add the stock and bay leaves; bring to a simmer.
Position the chicken legs on top of the rice and then drizzle with the honey & soy sauce.
Sprinkle with some thyme, season with pepper and cover.
Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
Take the lid off and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken skin gets a little colour. If all the stock has been absorbed then add a splash of water if needed.
Sprinkle with some more thyme leaves, check the seasoning, and serve.
You can use any large, lidded casserole (Dutch oven) for this recipe. If you can't find fresh wild mushrooms you can use dried porcini. Rehydrate first in hot water.
Want to know how to cook rice perfectly? Check out our handy
to cook rice
Try our some of our other easy One Pot Recipes