Being as healthy as possible is important whatever your age or gender, and with some helpful tweaks to your diet you can get on the right track to looking and feeling good.
The key is to avoid heavily refined foods which are nutrient poor. Processed foods tend to contain artificial additives and a long list of ingredients. Check the labels - the fewer and more natural the ingredients are, the better. For instance, Kikkoman soy sauce is made with just 4 pure ingredients – soybeans, wheat, salt and water – and is slowly naturally brewed over several months, resulting in its unique rich flavour and aroma. Other soy sauces may have caramel colouring and other additives.
There are many simple food swaps that can improve your diet –
- Change white bread and pasta for wholemeal to increase fibre
- Replace sugar-coated cereal with wholegrains such as porridge oats which make you feel fuller for longer.
- Reduce fat by choosing semi or skimmed milk instead of whole milk, and opt for lower fat cheese e.g. feta or cottage cheese.
- To decrease your salt intake, choose reduced salt stock cubes and sauces such as Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce which contains 43% less salt than the original but tastes just as good
- Plus be sure to eat your minimum 5-a-day of fruit and vegetables
- Choose leaner cuts of meat – for example, swap streaky bacon for back bacon
- Eat less red meat and aim to eat at least 2 portions of fish a week, including at least 1 portion of oily fish such as trout or salmon
All these small changes will help you achieve a more balanced diet without compromising on taste.
Reduced Salt Recipes
Give these healthy recipes a try using Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce:
- Snow peas and Pistchio Salad
- Soy and Chilli Chicken with Mango and Avocado Salad
- Salmon with Soy Sauce
- Asparagus and Pecan Pasta
- Fiery Chicken Stir-fry
- Kikkoman Steak Salad
- Fragrant Kikkoman Prawns
- Quick Vegetable Stir-fry
- Salmon in Lemongrass and Ginger Marinade with Coriander Salsa
- Steamed Haddock on Lemon Spinach
Heathy Gluten-free recipes
Want healthy and gluten-free? These nutritious recipes are made with Kikkoman Tamari Gluten-free Soy Sauce and taste amazing
- Lime and Lemongrass Noodle Bowl
- Grains and Greens Bowl
- Shredded Mango, Cabbage and Halloumi Salad
- Mediterranean Style Roasted Cod with Tamari
- Griddled Nectarine and Feta Salad
- Kale and Chick Pea Rice Bowls