Soy Glazed Gammon with Red Onion Marmalade
Gammon is very popular at Christmas time. This recipe has a lovely Kikkoman soy glaze
- Preparation Time5 mins
- Cooking Time3 hours 40 mins
- 4 kg (8lb) un-smoked boned and rolled gammon or shoulder joint
- 8 peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 200g (8oz) shallots or onions, peeled and halved
- Cold water, sufficient for cooking
- 100g clear honey
- 125ml Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 50ml (2fl oz) maple syrup
- 25g (1oz) fresh ginger puree
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 500g (20oz) red onions, peeled and sliced
- 100ml (4fl oz) Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 500ml (18fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 500g (18 oz) soft light brown sugar
Remove excess salt, drain the gammon and place in a deep roasting tin. Half fill the tin with cold water and add the peppercorns, bay leaves and shallots. Cover with foil and cook for 2-3 hours.
Remove the gammon from the oven, remove the foil, string and cut away the skin. Score the fat in a diamond pattern over the surface of the gammon. Return to a clean tin. Raise the oven temperature to 220°C/425F/Gas mark 7.
Mix the honey, soy sauce, maple syrup and ginger puree and brush over the gammon. Return to the oven for 15-20 mins until the outer surface is caramelised.
To make the marmalade: melt the butter in a large pan, sweat the onions until softened and add soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves and simmer for 30 mins. Serve with the gammon.