Japanese Tamago Omelette Sushi recipe
Tamago sushi are made with cooked egg omelette, commonly sat on top of sushi and bound with a strip of nori. In this tamago recipe the rice is stuffed into a pocket in the egg roll. Delicious and suitable Japanese sushi for vegetarians
- Preparation Time5 mins
- Additional TimePlus rice cooking time
- Cooking Time15 mins
Nutrition per serving
- Energy96 Kcals
- 3 eggs
- 15 g sugar
- 1 tsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 30 g water
- Some oil for the pan
- 25 g cooked sushi rice*
- Rocket, Kikkoman Soy Sauce
Makes 5 pieces
1. Whisk eggs with sugar, Kikkoman soy sauce and water.
2. Pour a 1/3 into a lightly greased pan and fry gently until set on one side.
3. Fold in right and left sides into the middle, then flip the top side down halfway and then again to form a roll shape.
4. Push the roll to the edge of the pan and pour the second portion of egg into the pan.
5. Fry on one side as before until set, then position the roll to the top of the omelette and fold this around the roll to add an extra layer.
6. Repeat the process with the third portion of egg.
7. Place the finished roll on kitchen paper and shape it with the help of the sushi mat; let them cool and unroll them from the mat.
8. Thinly slice off the ends of the roll and cut the remaining roll into 5 pieces.
9. Cut a small pocket in the top of each piece (1/2 cm deep) and fill each pocket with 5 g of sushi rice.
10 Arrange tamago on a platter with rocket and serve with Kikkoman soy sauce.
*For sushi rice (approx. 1 kg cooked sushi rice)
1. Cook 450g sushi rice in 450ml water according to pack instructions. Then season with 100 ml Kikkoman seasoning for sushi rice or alternatively a mix of 70 ml rice vinegar, 30 g sugar and 15 g salt.
Tip: When cooking rice, use the ratio of rice: water = 1 : 1. Less water is used when preparing sushi rice than when preparing conventional rice.
Want to know how to make Japanese sushi? Check out our easy guide to making sushi