Sweet-sour tomato sauce
A sweet and tangy tomato sauce seasoned with Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce and hot sauce. Use the sauce as a base for dishes containing rice, noodles and other grains- with the additon of other vegetables, meat or fish
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Additional Timeplus allow to cool overnight
- Cooking Time1 hour 30 mins
Nutrition per serving
- Energy41 Kcals
- 500g red tomatoes, peeled
- 1 large yellow tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 50ml Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 120C. Clean the vegetables and remove the cores, seeds and stems. Chop the tomatoes into quarters, fry for 30 minutes until the juice has evaporated. Sieve into a clean pan.
Add the onion, garlic and yellow tomatoes to the sieved tomatoes and cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 2-3 minutes. You can then blend the sauce or choose to leave it chunky if wished.
Pour the sauce into clean, dry kilner jars, close the seals and lids and place in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool overnight, don't turn upside down.
It is then ready to use as a base in other dishes.