Pumpkin soup with Caramelised Pumpkin Seeds
This creamy pumpkin soup is really easy to make but good enough to serve as a smart dinner party starter. Suitable for vegetarians, to make it vegan take out the honey.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
- 500 g Hokkaido pumpkin
- 3 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 250 ml apple juice
- 350 g vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 3 pinches sugar
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 2 pinches pink pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 80 g pumpkin seeds
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves only
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
1. Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and cut into small pieces. Peel and roughly cut the onions. Sweat both in a saucepan with rapeseed oil for about 15 minutes. Add tomato puree and sweat for a couple more minutes.
2. Pour in the apple juice and vegetable stock, then season with 3 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce, 1 pinch of sugar, lemon juice and pink pepper. Cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, dissolve 2 pinches of sugar and honey in a pan on a low heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and caramelise with 1 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce.
4. Blend the soup finely and serve in deep plates. Garnish with caramelised pumpkin seeds, drizzle of coconut milk and coriander.
Read our top tips on How to Make the Best Soup