Potato and Tomato Dal with Mint Chutney
A vegan recipe for a lightly spiced thick and satisying Indian style dal. Serve with a punchy green chilli, mint and coriander chutney for some fiery heat!
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time40 mins
Nutrition per serving
- Energy546 Kcals
For the dal:
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250g cherry tomatoes (120g for dal and use the rest for topping)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 300g red lentils, washed
- 1.2 litre vegan vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon (reserve 2 tbsp for chutney)
For the chutney:
- 2 green chillies, halved and deseeded
- a handful of fresh mint leaves
- a handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp of the reserved lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 250g pot plain oat yoghurt
Heat up the oil in a small pan. Fry the onions, garlic and potatoes until soft but not brown. Add the garam masala, turmeric and ground coriander and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add the lentils, 120g of the tomatoes and stock and cook for a futher 30 minutes. Season with Kikkoman soy sauce and lemon juice.
To make the chutney, puree the chillies, herbs, grated coconut, ginger, sugar, lemon juice, Kikkoman soy sauce and a little water.
Quarter the remaining tomatoes. Serve the dal with the tomatoes on top, a spoon of the chutney and a drizzle of oat yoghurt.