Ginger and soy slow cooked beef
This delicious Asian style slow cooked beef recipe by the Seasoned Cookery School is full of flavour and perfect for fuss-free family meals. Easily doubled for large crowds.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time3 hours
- 1kg slow cooking beef - eg shin / oxtail / braising steak in large dice if desired (although it will break down during the cooking process)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 finger lengths of fresh ginger
- 100ml hoisin sauce
- 200ml Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 350ml water / beef or chicken stock
- 100ml Chinese rice wine (ideally) or alternatively you can use rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons of chilli flakes or 2-3 fresh chillies depending on how hot your chillies are and how spicy you like your dish to be
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1-2 spring onions
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 1-2 limes in quarters
- A handful of sesame seeds
Recipe provided by Seasoned Cookery School
Finely chop the ginger and garlic - either by hand or in a blender (especially handy if you are doubling ths recipe for large quantities).
Heat a large casserole pan with a splash of vegetable oil, add the beef and allow to seal off, gaining colour. When the meat is sealed on all sides add the ginger and garlic and stir fry for a couple of minutes until the ginger and garlic are slightly coloured. (You may wish to fry the beef in batches depending on the size of your pan).
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is super tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
This can be cooked 2-3 days in advance, or frozen, defrosted and reheated.
To serve, slice and prepare all of your garnishes to sprinkle at the table and serve with rice.