Coconut fish cakes
These haddock fish cakes with a coconut and breadcrumb coating are crunchy and golden on the outside and would make a fantastic light lunch with a salad.
- Preparation Time5 mins
- Cooking Time50 mins
- 750g/1.7lb potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 500g/1.1lb raw haddock fillets
- 50g/2oz butter, melted
- 75ml/5tbsp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped
- 5 spring onions, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 eggs, beaten, with a little milk added
- 100g/4oz natural dry breadcrumbs
- 100g/4oz desiccated coconut
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
Boil the potatoes until soft, drain well and mash then leave to cool. Steam the haddock for 8-10 minutes then cool and flake, removing all the bones. Stir the haddock flakes into the mashed potatoes. Add the butter, soy sauce, garlic, chilli, spring onions and coriander and combine well.
Form the mixture into 8 even-sized cakes and dust each with a little flour. Chill for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, in a shallow dish, mix together the breadcrumbs and desiccated coconut. To finish, dip each cake into the beaten eggs, then into the crumb mixture and fry gently in hot oil for 3 minutes on each side.
Best served with a crisp mixed leaf salad.