This slow cooked beef casserole recipe is easy to make and comforting to eat! The addition of ale and Kikkoman soy sauce as lots of richness. The ideal winter recipe it is warming and sure to become a family favourite.
- Preparation Time2 hours 30 mins
- Cooking Time2 hours 30 mins
Nutrition per serving
- Energy296 Kcals
- Saturated Fat2g
- 700g (11/2lb) lean beef stewing steak, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g (9oz) carrots, trimmed
- 250g (9oz) Swede, peeled and diced
- 250g (9oz) new potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 300ml (1/2pint) hot beef stock
- 600ml (1pint) light ale
- 2 tbsp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bayleaf
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas mark 4. Toss the beef in the flour and black pepper to evenly coat. Heat half the oil in a large heavy based flameproof casserole dish and fry the beef in batches until well browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil and add the onion and celery to the casserole dish and fry for 5-6 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Return the beef to the casserole dish and stir in the carrots, Swede and potatoes. Pour over the beef stock, pale ale, Kikkoman Soy Sauce and push the herbs under the surface of the liquid.
Bring to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven for 2 hours 15 minutes until the beef and vegetables are tender.