Asian Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
A colourful, healthy salad bursting with Asian flavours. Make enough to take to work for lunch the next day too!
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Additional Timeplus 90 mins soaking time
- Cooking Time3 mins
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 2½ tbsp Kikkoman Ponzu Soy Sauce
- 2½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ¾ tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 125 ml yellow split peas
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1 medium size shallot, cut in thin slices
- 1500 g Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 tbsp sushi ginger
- 1 small red onion, cut in thin slices
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp jalapeno chilli, cut in thin slices
- 2 tbsp spring onions, cut in thin slices
Blend the ingredients for the dressing until smooth and keep in an airtight container in the fridge until serving.
Cover the yellow split peas with approx. 2½ cm of boiling water and leave to soak for 1½ hours. Drain the water and spread the peas on kitchen towel or a tray and leave to dry.
Heat the oil to 175˚C in a wok or saucepan and line another tray with kitchen towel. Fry the peas in the oil for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Take them out of the oil and leave to drain on the kitchen towel, sprinkle with a bit of salt. Also fry the shallot slices in the hot oil until golden brown and leave on kitchen towel to drain.
Mix the salad ingredients in a large bowl and pour the vinaigrette over just before serving. Sprinkle the fried yellow split peas and onion on top and serve with wedges of lime.
Tip: The yellow split peas can be prepared in advance and kept in an airtight container for a few days.