Which seasonal foods are available in Spring? Our recipes will give you ideas on how to use them.
Spring is a lovely time for fresh British produce following the winter months. New season spinach, purple sprouting broccoli, spring onions, Jersey Royal potatoes, asparagus and radishes are just some of the vegetables to look out for in shops and farmers markets from end of March until May. Eating locally grown foods also means it is more likely to be fresher, more nutritious and cheaper than imported produce.
As well as these delicious veg, you can also look forward to mussels, oysters, salmon, trout and crab on fish counters in the Spring months. Meat-eaters should plump for tender Spring lamb and gamey wood pigeon.
To help give you some inspiration on how to incorporate these ingredients into your Spring cookery, have a go at making these tasty recipes:
- Lamb, Aubergine and Spinach Pot
- Steamed Haddock on Lemon Spinach
- Chicken and Sake Noodles with Spring Onions
- Teriyaki Steak with Cucumber and Radish Salad
- Raw Asian Style Asparagus and Carrot Salad
- Oriental Mussels and Chips
- Salmon with soy butter and garlicky greens
- Salmon parcels with sesame and mango chutney
- Crab cakes
- Teriyaki Lamb Steaks with asparagus and baby vegetables