14 Top BBQ Tips
05. June 2023
The great British barbecue is one of our favourite summer pastimes, but there are a few golden rules to be aware of to ensure everyone enjoys perfectly cooked food. Here are Kikkoman’s top tips for the ultimate barbecue success. Stick to these and you won’t go far wrong.
How do you create the perfect BBQ?
- Ensure your take your meat out of the fridge an hour before cooking so that it barbecues more quickly and evenly in the centre without drying out.
- Keep salads, sauces etc in the fridge until needed, don’t leave anything out in the sun before you are ready to eat.
- Always use a marinade for chicken pieces, ribs, chops, steaks and kebabs. Marinades not only impart a wonderful flavour through the food, they also help tenderise and keep the food moist. Try Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade
- However, leftover marinade should not be used as a sauce if it has had raw meat in it
- Keep raw and cooked food separately, and ensure plates and utensils such as tongs are not cross contaminated
- Ensure your barbecue coals are at the right temperature before cooking. As a guide they should be coated in fine white ash.
- Be careful of dripping fat which can cause flare ups. Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby in case of emergencies
- Make a basting “brush” out of fresh, woody herbs such as thyme and rosemary. Pick long stems and tie into a bunch. Dip the end into a bowl of teriyaki and then brush on to food as it cooks for an extra herby hit.
- Lamb and beef steaks may be served pink, but ensure sausages, burgers, pork, chicken and fish are cooked through.
- You don’t have to go for the usual burger buns or hog dog rolls. Why not choose some flat breads, pitta or ripped up ciabatta instead?
- Select a few sides such a potato salad, coleslaw, couscous and leafy salad
- Consider some vegetarian ideas for the barbecue – but keep separate from the meat! Try sliced halloumi, mushroom, courgette and cherry tomato skewers, corn on the cob and aubergine.
- If the barbecue party goes on into the evening make sure you have some warm blankets for chilly knees and light some citronella candles to keep bugs at bay
- Keep a couple of bags handy for any rubbish and recycling