Slow Cooked Asian Beef Stew
This aromatic Asian beef stew is the ultimate comfort food. Serve over steamed rice and garnish with Thai basil leaves.
- Preparation Time15 mins
- Cooking Time6 hours
Nutrition per serving
- Energy742 Kcals
- Saturated Fat5.6g
- 800g braising steak, cubed
- 3 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 lemongrass stalks, outer leaves removed, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 400g butternut squash, cubed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml beef stock
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp cornflour diluted in 1 tbsp cold water
- Thai basil leaves to garnish
- green and red chilli, sliced, to garnish
- steamed rice, to serve
Put the beef in a bowl and add the soy sauce, minced garlic, sugar, five spice powder, pepper, and lemongrass. Mix to combine, cover and leave to marinate for an hour.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown the beef, in batches, until nicely coloured. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Wipe the pan and heat the remaining oil. Fry the shallots for 5 minutes until softened.
Stir in the carrots, squash and chillies and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, star anise, cinnamon sticks and bring to a simmer.
Transfer to the slow cooker and stir in the cornflour.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise.
Garnish with chillies and Thai basil and serve over steamed rice.