Japanese style rolled pork
These Japanese style pork rolls are a brilliant canape or a starter for any dinner party
- Preparation Time10 mins
- Additional Time2 hours marinating
- Cooking Time15 mins
- 1kg pork loin, sliced into 1cm thick steaks
- 1 x 250ml bottle Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 chillis, cut into strips
- 1 medium stem of ginger, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- 2 carrots, cut into fine matchsticks
- 50g/2oz roasted cashew nuts, chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
Gently flatten the pork steaks with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they have doubled in size and are around 3mm thick. Soak the steaks in the marinade for 2 hours to allow the flavours to infuse. Remove them from the marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper to drain any excess liquid.
Arrange the crushed garlic and the chilli, ginger, spring onions and carrots in the centre of the steaks and top with the cashew nuts. Roll each steak up and securely fasten with a cocktail stick or piece of string. Lightly brush each pork roll with olive oil.
Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, under a preheated hot grill or in the oven, at 200°C / Gas 6. Rest the meat for a few minutes before serving with either rice or salad.